The Fat Estrogen Connection
Why are we continually being told in order to cut our breast cancer risk, we need to lose weight? Because fat cells make estrogen. Why is that a problem?
The more fat you carry, the more estrogen you produce and vice versa. Many (but not all) breast cancers are fueled by an over-abundance of estrogen.
High calorie, fattening foods affect the body in many ways and have a strong influence on hormonal activity.
Estrogen is a normal and essential hormone for both women and men, but the more estrogen there is circulating in the blood, the greater the driving force behind some kinds of breast cancer. When women adopt a low-fat diet, their estrogen levels drop noticeably in a very short time.
To complicate matters, fat cells are loaded with aromatase, an enzyme required for the biosynthesis of estrogen. The higher your percentage of body fat, the more estrogen you can produce and the fatter you will be unless you control your diet and use supplements and exercise to lower estrogen production. As you reduce stored body fat, your estrogen conversion will lessen as well.
Other problems are associated with a high fat diet and obesity – back problems, stress on joints, skin disorders, edema – all kinds of things you wouldn’t normally think of.
5 Tips To Get You On The Right Path
- Make Sure You Are Not Dehydrated – there is an inverse relationship between water consumption and fat accumulation in the body. The less water you drink, the more you will want to eat. The more you eat, unless you are physically active, the more you store fat and there are specific reasons for that. The sensations of thirst and hunger are generated simultaneously by your brain to indicate the brain’s needs for energy. We often do not recognize the sensation of thirst and interpret both indicators as the urge to eat, doing so even when the body really just wants water, the infinitely cleaner source of energy. Water is required for all physiological functions of the body. Water has two direct effects in preventing obesity — firstly, by providing clean energy for the brain, it avoids the storage of fat from excess food intake, and secondly, by constantly activating fat-burning enzymes, water helps with breaking up fat reserves when the body is going through the process of recycling its fat stores. How much water should you drink? Half your body weight (lbs) in ounces, for instance if you weigh 120 lbs, you should drink 60 oz of water daily. For most adults, 2-3 liters of water per day will be sufficient. Also, add a 1/2 teaspoon of Himalayan salt for every ten glasses of water you drink to replace what you’re washing through you.
- Seek Some Emotional Support – the maintenance of obesity can often be caused by an emotional problem. Who hasn’t had a fight with their spouse and then reached for the Oreos? These patterns need to be addressed and a new routine adhered to. Counselling in this regard is extremely important, but the patient must be cooperative in wanting to change their diet and lifestyle. Fad diets rarely work since the underlying emotional patterning is almost never addressed, paving the way for a return to old eating and lifestyle habits.
- Get More Exercise – this part may seem obvious, but many often skip it, in favor of the popular diet of the week. Nothing is better than old fashioned exercise and it doesn’t need to something you don’t like. If you aren’t crazy about gym workouts, go to a dance class. Go hiking. Get on a bicycle and go somewhere fun! Have fun with it. If you need to consult with a qualified instructor to consider any ancillary health problems caused by obesity, please do that. Aim to build up to 30 minutes of exercise five days a week.
- Get Your Vitamin D Levels Checked – vitamin D suppresses the aromatase enzyme. Also studies have shown that most women diagnosed with breast cancer are hugely deficient in vitamin D.
- Supplements – Your body finds it difficult to metabolize fat when it lacks nutrients and minerals. It is a very good idea to take multivitamins to supply your body with the needed nutrients especially if you are not eating healthy foods. The best thing about multivitamins is they are affordable, easy to take and available anytime and anywhere. They have almost all the nutrition your body needs when you are losing weight keeping your body functioning normally. Find out from your local health food store or naturopath which vitamins will assist you most.
If you would like my help with getting through breast cancer in an inspiring and ultra-healthy way, please sign up for my free e-newsletters on the right, or “like” me on Facebook (MarnieClark.com). It is my honor to help you through this.