If you’ve just had a breast cancer diagnosis, the prospect of surgery can be terrifying (and that’s pretty normal!). I wanted to share with you, however, that there are many things you can do to prepare for surgery and my tips are below.
There are many herbal and homeopathic remedies and plenty of nutritional advice that can be utilized that will keep your discomfort to a minimum. Here are my best suggestions:
The Best Ways to Prepare for Your Breast Cancer Surgery
- Good nutrition – take a good multi-vitamin supplement, it enhances healing and recovery. Eat plenty of protein-rich foods because protein is needed to repair cut tissues and muscles and supply energy. Eat organic meat and chicken and non-farmed fish like salmon, mackerel, cod, sardines. Eat plenty of walnuts for those good essential fatty acids. Also eat plenty of garlic and onions for your immune system.
- Check for signs of anemia prior to surgery. To do this, place your hand down flat on a table and press your nails down. If the pink color returns quickly, it generally means that your iron levels are good. If your nails are a whitish color, see a naturopath and get an iron supplement.
- Drink plenty of water in the days leading up to surgery to ensure your body is not dehydrated.
- Build your immune system – it’s your first line of defense, make sure it’s as strong as it can be. See my page: “8 Ways To Build A Super Strong Immune System“.
- Arnica – a great homeopathic which aids in wound healing and prevents bruising. My surgeon was so impressed with my lack of bruising that he began putting arnica on his office reception desk for his patients! Another good homeopathic is hypericum – alternate arnica and hypericum (up to 6 c) every two hours following surgery as they diminish pain and reduce the need for medication.
- Helichrysum – an essential oil I used for its anticoagulant, anesthetic and antiviral properties. I began applying it within two hours post surgery – not on the incisions, just on the tissues nearby. I healed up so quickly! You can get helichrysum from me.
- Avoid aspirin or NSAIDs prior to surgery as they can lead to excessive bleeding.
- Take a good quality protein powder after surgery to aid tissue healing – blend the powder into a fruit smoothie.
- Get your friends and family involved – have them say prayers for you for the hours before, during and after your surgery. You will be amazed at how powerful this is – you will feel enveloped with love.
- Meditation and yoga – while I was waiting in my room for it to be time for my surgery, I kept anxiety levels down with meditation and yoga. Very calming, nurturing and beneficial to you. I even found my nurses were enjoying the benefits because things were so calm in my room.
Most importantly, do your best to stay positive. Your surgeon knows exactly what to do!
If you found this beneficial and you’d like to stay connected, sign up for my free e-newsletters on the right, and/or “like” me on Facebook (MarnieClark.com) and I’ll do my utmost to keep you informed and empowered on your healing journey.