Image Source: rgbstock.com / sloopjohnb
10 Steps to a Positive Attitude
As a cancer patient, having a positive attitude is almost as important as the various therapies you undergo. And sometimes, it’s darned hard to achieve. But it’s the real key to optimal health and beating cancer.
I am drawing heavily from one of my favorite books – given to me by a friend shortly after my diagnosis. It’s entitled “Shattering the Cancer Myth” by Katrina Ellis, a cancer survivor and natural therapist.
Ms Ellis’s book helped me so much – one eye-opening statement that she makes in the book is “When we are happy and optimistic, our immune system functions much better… Blocking negative emotions isn’t the answer to preventing illness and cancer. Inhibiting emotions will not make them go away, it simply drives them into more subtle and usually more destructive avenues of expression later.” Here are her recommendations on achieving a positive attitude:
- Become an Optimist – be aware of your every day dialogue and conversations with others. Try to go a whole day without saying something negative or derogatory. Also be aware of internal dialogues with yourself.
- Be Aware of Your Internal Self-Talk – guard against negativity by using affirmations (see #3)
- Use Positive Affirmations and Phrases Daily – creating positive affirmations is not as easy as you think. You must use no negative language. More on this tomorrow!
- Set Positive Short Term & Long Term Goals – achieving goals enables you to feel better about who you are. Use positive language, be specific, state your goals in the present tense or as if you have already achieved them.
- Practice Creative Imagery – visualize your goals being attained – much like world-class athletes will visualize themselves running the race and winning before they even get to the start line. See my post Using Visualization To Heal Yourself.
- Laugh Heartily & Often – laughter releases endorphins and they help you feel better!
- Surround Yourself With Positive People – negative, pessimistic people will only bring you down. Seek out people who have a good, caring, attitude!
- Keep the Playfulness & Joy In Your Life – keeping a playful attitude helps to maintain a positive attitude. Watch children and puppies for clues!
- Reward Yourself with Treats – nothing wrong with this, especially when you have achieved a goal. It doesn’t need to be expensive or lavish, just something you love.
- Take Time Out For Yourself – do this every day, even when you think you can’t. It doesn’t have to be a huge amount of time, just something that is solely for you.
I send my love to everyone taking this journey right now. If you would like my help with getting through breast cancer in an inspiring and ultra-healthy way, please sign up for my free e-newsletters on the right, or “like” me on Facebook (MarnieClark.com) and I’ll do my utmost to keep you informed and empowered on your healing journey… and beyond.